Thursday 2 August 2012

My Personal Guide to Op Shopping!

One of the most common questions I get asked about op shopping is "how do you find all these fabulous things" so I thought I would share with you my own guide to how I op shop.

  • Before you start the most important thing is to open your mind and leave any snobbery or pretence at the door, op shops are not like they used to be and it has become very fashionable to op shop.
  • I personally am a label shopper and flick through the racks looking firstly at the label-I generally look for designer labels (yep all those mag reading days have served me well - I call it research).  If I see a label I like then that is when I generally have a good look at the piece-you can imagine my excitement when I stumble upon a Sass & Bide label, and I do!
  • Inspect really carefully any pieces before buying - yes I have been caught out on this one a few times.  I am really fortunate that my mum is a brilliant sewer,  so missing buttons, hems down I know she can fix these easily.  Stains can be tricky also - grease and oil stains are really hard to get out so I generally leave these pieces.  Remember to check zips also - these can be really expensive to get fixed-so no matter how much of a bargain it is, it won't be if you need to have it professionally repaired.
  • Be sure to check out those accessory bins - I have picked up some amazing designer bags and scarves.  Be sure to smell handbags-if they smell musty or of cigarette smoke then leave them where they are - no amount of airing will fix these.
  • Give yourself plenty of time - there are bargains to be had but it does take time and patience. Don't feel disappointed if you come away with nothing, this happens to me alot - I think this makes the times when you do score a fab find that much sweeter.  The old thrill of the hunt!!
  • Don't limit yourself to just clothing, check out homewares/books and toys - most op shops have a huge bookcase full of books.  I  have found some gorgeous vintage homewares - I love the character they add to my home.
  • Make sure you wash all items before wearing - I also add a little disinifectant to the wash as well.
  • Finally if you find a favourite shop and visit regularly - get to know the volunteers, if you are looking for something in particular they can keep an eye out for it for you.  You will also notice if you visit regularly which days they put out new stock - some stores will tell you which days if you are lucky.
  • MOST IMPORTANTLY HAVE FUN - its just stuff!!!
I hope that helps.  If any of you have your own tips be sure to share-I strongly believe the more we share the more it comes back to us!

Goodnight
Mel xx

1 comment:

  1. LOVE, LOVE IT! That is a great post Mel - great tips, thanks for sharing your hints and experience! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment-you have made my day! M xx